Breaking News
  • last day of school/MP4: 6/12
  • Keystone Testing 5/13-5/16
  • AP Exams 5/6-5/20
  • MHS Choir Concert 5/1
  • MHS Orchestra Concert 4/25

The Windy Hill

The student news site of Methacton High School

The Windy Hill

The Windy Hill

Letter Day

Sign Up to Get Windy Hill Alerts!
Enter your email below to receive the monthly newsletter of the best stories of the month!

A Bronze Tennis Season: Nouaime takes third at districts, doubles take third at PACs

Winners of the PAC doubles tournament pose with their medals in the order of their places (right to left) on Oct. 11 at Perk Valley. Methacton girls (left to right) are Chelsea Lian, Claire Montgomery, Anika Suresh, and Lauren Montgomery. (Photo credit: Austin Hertzog)

Senior Hana Nouaime won third place in the PIAA 3A district singles tournament on Sept. 29 and 30 at the Springfield YMCA, adding another medal to the company of her PAC singles championship which she won a few weeks prior.

In the first round, Nouaime played Souderton’s Amanda Yang, whom she defeated with solid sets of 6-2, 6-4. Nouaime advanced to the quarterfinals with similar sets of 6-2, 6-3 against South Haven’s Minori Saito. The semi-final round was put away with quite a fight of 7-5, 6-4 against Grace Piro of CB South. 

In the finals, Nouaime fell to Unionville’s Grace Li, who also won last year’s district singles title. With her effort, Nouaime earned a spot in the state singles championship that will take place during the first week of November at the Hershey Racquet Club. 

Two teams had success at the PAC doubles tournament at Perkiomen Valley High School that spanned over two days due to inclement weather (Oct. 6 and 11). Methacton’s second and third singles, senior Lauren Montgomery and junior Anika Suresh respectively, placed third.

They were followed by first doubles, freshmen Claire Montgomery and Chelsea Lian, who earned fourth. 

On the first day, both pairs earned first-round byes. In the second round, held on the same day, Lauren Montgomery and Suresh defeated Chloe Duman and Lily Hamric of Upper Merion in a 10-game set of 10-3. Montgomery and Lian defeated Pope John Paul’s Mia Zernick and Ally Mooney 10-1. 

In the quarterfinals, L. Montgomery and Suresh defeated Doan and Hamric (previous opponents of Methacton’s other doubles) 6-4, 6-1. Meanwhile, C. Montgomery and Lian crushed Pheonixville’s Vivona Xu and Elise Pham 6-3, 6-0. 

The semifinals saw Methacton’s doubles teams unable to keep up with Springford.

L. Montgomery and Suresh lost to Chloe Moore and Alexis Luo 7-6, 6-3 while C. Montgomery and Lian fell to Mia Matriccino and Evelyn Mejia 6-3, 6-1. 

Spring-Ford doubles, then, competed against each other in the finals while Methacton’s pairs battled for third. L. Montgomery and Suresh earned the bronze, 7-6, 6-0. Next up is the PIAA District 1 doubles tournament on Oct. 19 and 21 at the Springfield YMCA.