Breaking News
  • last day of school/MP4: 6/12
  • Keystone Testing 5/13-5/16
  • AP Exams 5/6-5/20
  • MHS Choir Concert 5/1
  • MHS Orchestra Concert 4/25

The Windy Hill

The student news site of Methacton High School

The Windy Hill

The Windy Hill

Letter Day

Sign Up to Get Windy Hill Alerts!
Enter your email below to receive the monthly newsletter of the best stories of the month!

“She Woke Me Up Daily, Don’t Need No Starbucks”

area in which coffee bar is located

Imagine having to rush to Starbucks everyday before school to grab your Iced Chai Latte, simply because you can’t function without it that early in the morning. It’s almost impossible to be the first car at the drive-through on weekday mornings, not to mention that in-store orders move slower. By the time you get your drink, it’s already 7:25 a.m. and you can’t help being tardy to school. Again. 

Taking this wide issue into consideration, Methacton High School’s Lunch Committee, composed of staff and students, successfully carried out an idea that has been worked on since September of 2022: the Windy Hill Cafe, MHS’s very own coffee bar.

Located in the Student Commons, the coffee bar is open to all students and staff from the start of school until the end of the last lunch. It will serve as an area for students to relax, have lunch, and attend study halls. Preordering will be implemented to shorten lines and ease stress. The coffee bar will be stocked with pastries, teas, coffee, and other drinks, including Vanilla and Mocha-flavored iced coffees from Starbucks as specialty drinks. Best yet, the items will be a lot cheaper than Starbucks, making this a win-win situation. Payment is accepted only through school lunch accounts and will not be allowed in cash. Aramark employees will be working throughout the day at the coffee bar. 

Besides executing the Windy Hill Cafe, the district has also transitioned out of the USDA’s National School Lunch Program in order to implement new/improved meals to the menu. Aramark remains as the meal provider for our district. 

Behind the scenes, the Lunch Committee met every few weeks last year to discuss the school environment, lunches, and student morale, as well as visit the Central Bucks South High School to learn about their coffee bar and lunch program.

Junior Adiva Saeed says “I really liked the Iced Mocha that they made— I’d give it a 4.5 out of 5. They have a lot of options and it looks fancy, but the line is really lengthy and they take pretty long to make it! My friend got a cookie from the bar, and that was also really good!” In addition, an anonymous student suggested that fresh unsold donuts from Dunkin Donuts at the end of each day can be collected and sold at the coffee bar the next day. President of Class of 2026, Brady Koch, who was also a part of the Lunch Committee, provides his thoughts: “I think it’s a great outlet for students during the school day to get a quick snack and drink. The workers there are very nice and the lines have been progressing quickly. I would call the coffee bar a great success.”

With school having opened only a week ago, the coffee bar has been influential in helping set students and staff back into school mode and will always be there whenever they need it!