Breaking News
  • last day of school/MP4: 6/12
  • Keystone Testing 5/13-5/16
  • AP Exams 5/6-5/20
  • MHS Choir Concert 5/1

The Windy Hill

The student news site of Methacton High School

The Windy Hill

The Windy Hill

Letter Day

Sign Up to Get Windy Hill Alerts!
Enter your email below to receive the monthly newsletter of the best stories of the month!

Methacton Basketball Moving onto Districts as the Sixth Seed

Christian Matos after draining a three
Christian Matos after draining a three

The Methacton Warriors boys basketball team is moving onto districts right at home on Tuesday, February 20. Let’s take a look back at the season, starting in December. 

Methacton started the season 2-0, before dropping one at Lower Merion. Then, they headed back home for their first home game of the season, defeating Perk Valley and starting the PAC season on a high note. In the liberty division, Methacton swept Owen J Roberts, Norristown, and Boyertown, plus wins in PAC crossover action against Phoenixville and Pope John Paul II. In Non-conference action, Methacton knocked out Wissahickon, North Penn, and in dramatic fashion, Plymouth Whitemarsh (buzzer-beater from halfcourt by Manny Rodriguez). At the end of the regular season, Methacton also traveled up to Emmaus and knocked them off.

The struggles came with the winning as well. Starting the season 3-2 isn’t exactly ideal, but that second loss was a 20-point comeback by the Warriors, but then eventually fell to Executive Education. One of the most interesting series of the season was with Spring-Ford. The Rams walked into Methacton’s gym on the first Friday of the New Year and stole the show from the Warriors, and then Methacton came right back at them at the end of the month. In between those two games, Methacton went 5-3, struggling against Perk Valley in their gym, as well as Constitution and Pottstown. In the end, the Warriors ended as the fourth overall seed in PACs and took on Perk Valley at their court.

The Perkiomen Valley Main Gym has seemed like a home away from home, as the Warriors played their fourth game there on Feb. 7. The PAC matchup between Methacton and Perk Valley also has been played recently as these two played just last year in PACs, in the same format, but that time at SpringFord. And once again, it was an incredibly close game. Huge shots from Christian Matos and Alex Herman kept the Warriors in it, especially draining threes from downtown to take the momentum to their side. But in the end, Perk Valley came out on top once again. 

For Methacton though, that didn’t affect their district ranking as they ended up as the sixth seed, lining up to play either the 11-seed CB West or the 22-seed Pensbury at home on Feb. 20. If they win that, they will head right back to Springford on the Feb. 23, a building Methacton fared well in this year, winning 71-49 on Jan. 30.

There is no doubt that senior leaders Alex Herman and Anthony Dadazzio are going to have their team ready come the 20th for a second-round matchup at home. Those two were along for the ride just last season when the Warriors lost a close one up at Garnet Valley in the second round. Last season, they were the ninth seed and this year they improved to the sixth in the district rankings, so now, only the games will tell what this team is really made of. 

Pictures below were taken by Janet James from the PV game on the 7th of February.

Christian Matos after draining a three
Iemmello confirming the play call with Coach Lockard
Manny Rodriguez getting ready for an inbound pass
Wes Robinson looking on waiting for an inbound pass
Alex Herman played defense outside the 3 point arc
Mason Conrad on the bench during a timeout drinking water
Sal Iemmello locked up with a Perk Valley player