Breaking News
  • last day of school/MP4: 6/12
  • Keystone Testing 5/13-5/16
  • AP Exams 5/6-5/20
  • MHS Choir Concert 5/1

The Windy Hill

The student news site of Methacton High School

The Windy Hill

The Windy Hill

Letter Day

Sign Up to Get Windy Hill Alerts!
Enter your email below to receive the monthly newsletter of the best stories of the month!

Methacton’s New Jewish Student Union Club Has Successful First Meeting

The Jewish Student Union looks to celebrate Jewish customs in its monthly meetings and unify Methacton’s Jewish community.

Methacton’s Jewish Student Union had its inaugural meeting on Feb. 6.

Methacton junior Andrew Brickman led the meeting alongside five other officers: Michael Levitt, Noah Delfiner, Hayden Brown, Jackie Cohen, and Channa Lewenson. 

Brickman explained how he came up with the idea of the Jewish Student Union. In his club-opening speech, he emphasized that the Oct. 7 attacks made him realize that Jewish students had no semblance of a club at the school, as compared to other groups, such as the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, the Black Student Union, and the Asian Student Association. 

Despite the intense social and political climate around the Israel-Palestine conflict, the JSU does not take a particular stance on the issue. 

Brickman said that more than 20 students were in attendance. They ate sufganiyah, a jelly-filled, pillowy donut commonly indulged by Jewish people during Hanukkah, symbolizing the oil that burned for eight days in Jerusalem. Members can also look forward to cultural celebrations and festive activities for attendees to continue in future meetings. 

Brickman welcomes anyone interested in Jewish culture and customs to attend the JSU’s next meeting.