Homecoming Week ends with big spirit

Seniors win tug-of-war

By Alexander Eells, Sports Writer, Photographer

Methacton High School concluded Homecoming week on Friday, October 7. On Homecoming Friday, our students left class early for our pep rally, involving sports team walkouts, performances by the band, tug-of-war competitions between the classes, and the all-girls Powderpuff football game. To officially conclude the week, Methacton football took another win for their fourth and final home game. The week’s activities, including the previous day’s dance, was organized by science teachers Mrs. Griffith and Mrs. Palmer.

Students and staff gathered at the football field on Friday to start the homecoming pep rally. Everything started at about 1:10 when the Methacton sports teams walked out to be recognized (as seen below in the photos). Things continued with a performance by the MHS color guard and marching band, while the athletes lined the near sideline of the field.

Following the performance, the competition started with a class tug-of-war. As is tradition, it began with the seniors against the freshmen. Josh Cancro, Natalie Drake, Emily Drake, and Tyler Deal led the seniors to a dominating win over the freshman. Then the sophomores took on the juniors and in a close fight, the juniors pulled out. Then the ultimate final came out, seniors against juniors— but the highly anticipated fight did not live up to the hype. The seniors quickly took the rope on their side and won the competition. Typically, the teachers would then face the winners, but this year they did not meet the challenge. This was to the disappointment of senior Josh Cancro, who took a mic of our “In the Halls” hosts and screamed, “They’re scared.”

The Powderpuff game ended the afternoon’s pep rally, a gender-swapped version of the “traditional” football game: girls as players, guys as cheerleaders. Lead referee Mr. Goetler flipped the coin, and with that, we got underway. On the sideline, the boys got some help from the cheerleading squad to set up a cheer, even doing some tricks and flips. On both sidelines, our Methacton football team players joined their respective classes to coach; all of them had headsets on, which didn’t work, and had their best business casual clothing on. 

Later that night, the Methacton Warrior varsity football team took on Boyertown. Methacton did end up winning 10-7, but it wasn’t without a fight. Methacton went down early 7-0, but came back by scoring a field goal, making it 7-3. They did finally get a touchdown early in the fourth quarter, taking the lead, 10-7.

The whole night, the tribe was going strong, starting chants throughout. It was definitely the most engaged they have been this season, all dressed in whiteout spirit. The stadium was packed due to it being homecoming night, which added to the atmosphere. It was a great game from start to finish so the stands were full right up to the final horn.