Football team wins big in first home game

By Alexander Eells, Sports Writer, Photographer

This past Friday, the Methacton Warriors varsity football team took on the Wissahickon Trojans in their first home game of the season. Methacton won 18-8 in a dominant victory. With the win came strong student spirit, as our MHS Mini-Thon members organized a blackout shirt fundraiser for the game. Head coach Brain Kennedy said in a post-game interview that “It was a team effort,” that was followed by Joshua Cancro, who held the golden sledgehammer, “Everyone showed up and showed out, it was a great performance by everyone, I am really proud of everyone.” 

Taking a step back, in pregame, Joshua Cancro and Jake Chapman, the team’s top senior leaders, gave us an interview. When asked how this game would go, Cancro responded, “I think we are going to put on a fight, we’re hungry,” and Chapman followed up, “We’re going to come down strong, we got some dawgs on this team.” They were also asked how they see this team and Cancro gave a downright answer, “Kept up our worth ethic, we have picked it up last week, and we haven’t stopped… we would like to see the team at 8-2 and in the playoffs at the end of the season.”

The Student Section was active the whole night, led by “The Tribe” and wearing their Mini-Thon blackout shirts. Prior to the game-starting kickoff, they started an “I believe that we will win” chant. From there, they were off, getting loud and screaming at the top of their lungs in the game’s top moments. The senior cheerleaders said they were excited to hype up the student section in what will hopefully be a great season.

At halftime, the Mini-Thon kept the crowd entertained with a team race, and they went on to say in an interview that through events like this, they raise about $50,000 every year for the children they sponsor. So far this year they have already raised about $10,000 through the blackout shirt spirit and donations/fundraisers. This year they are aiming for over $50,000, beating last year.

After the exciting game, quarterback Michael Wolbers kept things humble, “We have a lot of simple mistakes that we got to fix, but the win feels good.” 

Methacton is now 1-1 on the season, losing to Plymouth-Whitemarsh on the road last week. Josh Cancro summed it up greatly in his postgame interview, “We have a lot to improve on, that’s for sure, but I am ready… we’ve got to take it slow, and we’re going to win.”