Unified Track and Field Hosts its First-Ever Meet

The+Unified+Track+and+Field+Team+hosted+its+first-ever+meet+on+May+8.+

Katie Chan

The Unified Track and Field Team hosted its first-ever meet on May 8.

By Katie Chan, Contributing Writer

MHS hosted its first Unified Track and Field meet on May 8. The sport brings together students with and without intellectual disabilities to compete in various types of events, including the 100m dash, shot put, mini-javelin and the 4×100 and 4×400 relays. The team is meant to promote social inclusion through sport.

Joining Methacton in the competition were Lower Merion and Cheltenham High Schools. History teacher Mr. Matthew Alzamora and Physical Education teacher Mrs. Quintois coach the Warriors.

Special education teacher Mrs. Brislin and Mrs. Quintois, who had been attempting to start a team since the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year, met with Dr. Zerbe in January. After getting parental support and after getting positive feedback from other schools that run the program, administration gave its approval for an MHS team.

Mrs. Quintois explained why a team of this kind is important.

“We wanted to allow our students who have been participating in Special Olympics the opportunity to represent Methacton High School on an after-school sports team. It is not only an opportunity for these students, but [the unified team has] allowed for several other students that have never participated on an athletics team at Methacton to compete as well,” she said.

Many teachers, students, and community members came out to support the teams on May 8, including both the boys and girls lacrosse teams. A number of Arcola students volunteered at the event under the guidance of math teacher and Arcola track and field coach Mr. Merscher.

Best Buddies sponsored the concession stand at the meet.