MTC to feature The Sound of Music

Georg Von Trapp (senior Cole Moore) is surrounded by his children during The Sound of Music by the Methacton Theatre Company

By Eve Neider, Staff Writer

The Methacton Theatre Company will debut their spring musical, The Sound of Music from Feb. 21-23.

Based on a true story set in World War II Austria, this show features free-spirited Maria, played by sophomore Mary Cate Bruno, who has a passion for music and the mountains. Maria, who is considering the convent, is sent to become a governess to a retired Austrian naval officer, Georg Von Trapp, played by senior Cole Moore, a widower and father of seven. While there, she earns the children’s love and respect and falls in love with Georg.

The major conflict hinges on whether Georg, Maria and the children can escape the Nazis who wish to make Georg a naval officer for Germany.  

Freshman Jackson Fisher, who is playing one of the children, Friedrich Von Trapp, describes joining high school theatre as an amazing and educational experience. He wants the audience to learn from watching the play that there is no challenge that people can not face.

“MHS theatre has taught me many things to do on stage. I love all the amazing tips and tricks I have now. This has changed my acting career by far,” he said.

Freshman Lindsey Reid who is playing one of the children, Brigetta Von Trapp,  said MTC is a welcoming group that puts a lot of effort into its productions. She added that it is that togetherness that is thematic in this season’s musical.

“It is very easy to see that every cast member becomes very close to each other like a family, and you can be who you are,” said Reid.

In addition to looking forward to this production, senior Kira Kappler, who plays Sister Margaretta, looked back on her body of work with MTC.

“It’s so bittersweet. Leaving the company is going to be very, very difficult for us to say the least. We will miss all of the shows that we’ve done, all the people we’ve met along the way, just being in such an amazing leadership position and being able to lead such an amazing group of people.”

Cole Moore hopes people get the message of love finds a way no matter the circumstances. This is shown in the play as Maria brings love during a tough time. He is glad he got the chance to be in theatre throughout his years in high school and loves that he gets to play a character that “grows into who he is.” Moore is glad to end with a tough challenge.

Sophomore Mary Cate Bruno, who is playing the lead role, Maria Von Trapp, wants people to understand the show’s major theme: loving somebody no matter what. She also hopes people notice everybody’s hard work and the interrelationship between the people on stage.

“This will be a very entertaining show with a lot of dancing and shoe-tapping music. The audience should expect lots of amazing sets, lots of energy and just a group of people who absolutely love what they are doing and love each other so very much. And a lot of singing,” said Bruno.

Some notable songs in The Sound of Music include “Edelweiss,” “My Favorite Things,” “So Long, Farewell,” “Do-Re-Mi” and the title song “The Sound of Music”. Written with music by Richard Rodgers and lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II, the original broadway production first appeared in 1959 and won five Tony awards. The book was authored by Howard Lindsay and Russel Crouse. It is based on memoir by Maria Von Trapp titled “ The Story of the Trapp Family Singers”. The story rose to fame with the film in 1965, starring Julie Andrews.

The production runs Feb. 21-23, beginning at 7 each evening. Tickets are $18 for adults and $15 for seniors and students.