Homecoming sees its first parade, seniors take the Spirit Stick.

By Adora Maddonni, Staff Writer

Seniors took home the Spirit Stick at the conclusion of the annual spirit week last month. Homecoming king Gil Price loves the idea of the five-day celebration that precedes Homecoming Day.

“The week leading up to the game is always fun. Seeing everyone’s spirit and dressing up like hillbillies or dudes that surf the waves is always great to see.”

Following classes on Friday, students attended the pep rally during which the homecoming court, as well the fall sports teams, walked along the track and onto the turf to the cheering student body. After that, the faculty cheerleaders attempted to rev up the crowd with a short performance. Subsequently, the seniors captured the Spirit Stick after winning the tug of war.

Tremain Wilson, a sophomore and part of the homecoming court, really enjoyed the pep rally and thought it was a great opportunity to get students hyped up for the dance.

“I think the homecoming pep rally, parade and dance went great. It was a great turnout.”

Saturday’s festivities included a parade, a one-mile hike from Eagleville Elementary to the high school. The first-time event included every sports team, club, and class from MHS, and featured floats from some elementary schools including Arcola and Worcester.

The community day catered to kids, offering them a chance to try out playing on the turf. High school athletes set up stations where children could take shots on goal and measure the speed of their shots.

The week and its concluding day, as well as the dance, were made possible by history department teachers Mrs. Markle and Mrs. McGruddy.

“Mrs. Markle started in July applying for permits from the township to hold the parade. I also started in July ordering supplies for the week-long event,” said Mrs. McGruddy.

Saturday’s day-time festivities concluded with the announcement of the homecoming king and queen and the football game, stacking the Warriors up against OJR.

More than 850 students attended the dance compared to just over 1,000 from last year. Sophomore Alexis Tornetta thought that the decrease in attendance was a good thing.

“I enjoyed homecoming this year because a lot more of my friends came. Also there wasn’t as many people as last year, so the gym wasn’t as hot and sweaty this time,” she said.

Homecoming King, Gil Price, and Queen, Paulina Lowery, said they had a blast, adding that they found it hard to believe that this was their last homecoming at MHS.

“It felt incredible to be crowned homecoming king and see Paulina crowned queen. Being crowned on the track in front of everyone is such a rush. I had a lot of fun at this homecoming,” said Price.

Lowery added that the feeling of the day will be unforgettable.

“It was an honor even being nominated, let alone being crowned. I can’t describe how amazing it felt to hear both of our names called, definitely a day to remember for years to come.”