WPG Sends Out Anti-Domestic Violence Messages with the Clothesline Project

Back to Article
Back to Article

STAFF WRITER Hailey Grawe, Contributing Writer

The Warrior Performance Group empowers people who are struggling in society through fundraisers, dancing, singing, speaking and art. On April 23 WPG came together to fight violence against women through The Clothesline Project, a global initiative meant to remember victims and survivors of sexual violence. The movement is meant to help prevent violence as well. They wanted to inspire others to speak out about the issue. Each member created a T-shirt that informed, spoke against, or brought light to domestic violence. They all painted, drew or wrote eye-opening messages on their shirts and later gathered in the courtyard to hang them up to spread their messages. Through these shirts, they hoped to come together and to move one step closer to the end of domestic violence. They want to bring power and strength to those going through domestic violence, survivors of domestic violence, and those who lost a loved one to domestic violence. In this feature, you will see photographs of the WPG members during The Clothesline Project.

• (from left) Connor Geib, Kareena Kumar and Cara Rydzewski hung up the T-shirts made by previous students.

Hailey Grawe

• Kareena Kumar hung up extra T-shirts from previous years.

Hailey Grawe

• The middle shirt, from a previous student, shows the meaning of the project through artwork.

Hailey Grawe

• Emily Bradigan, the president of WPG, made the middle blue shirt through her experience in art.

Hailey Grawe

• These shirts were made by Willy Cavallo, Jordan Kaminski and Carson Crenshaw.

Hailey Grawe

• This orange shirt, created by Cara Rydzewski, says, “Society teaches us Don’t get raped rather than Don’t rape.”

Hailey Grawe

• This is the WPG family having their discussion circle to end the event.

Hailey Grawe

• The group recited a speech about the purpose of this project and their wishes or goals for the world.

Hailey Grawe

• This T-shirt was made by Erin Donovan that spreads happiness to survivors of sexual violence.

Hailey Grawe

• These are the shirts students see as they walk by the courtyard.

Hailey Grawe

• This is the sign made by previous students that explains the purpose and inspiration for this event.

Hailey Grawe

• Members of the WPG family participated in and helped with the Clothesline Project.

Hailey Grawe

• Cara Rydzewski and Thy Nguyen finished their job and hung out until they were given another task.

Hailey Grawe

• Here, Grace Withers finished hanging up her T-shirts and made them look organized.

Hailey Grawe

• WPG members worked together to space out and situate the T-shirts.

Hailey Grawe

• Kareena Kumar explained the saying on her T-shirt: “Breaking the silence one brick at a time.”

Hailey Grawe

• Junior Danny Geib, along with the rest of the students, explained the meaning of his shirt.

Hailey Grawe

• Mrs. Welsh, the club’s sponsor, offered inspiration to the group before beginning the project.

Hailey Grawe

• Sophomore Carson Crenshaw explained her shirt that includes many celebrities who have endured sexual violence.

Hailey Grawe

• Freshman Erin Donovan explained her T-shirt and her thought process while creating it.

Hailey Grawe

• Erin Donovan and Maria Coyle hung up their T-shirts.

Hailey Grawe

• (from left) Lia Paone, Carson Crenshaw, Erin Donovan and Julia Brady discussed the impact the event will have had on the school.

Hailey Grawe