MHS AP Art Students Earn College Acceptances

Eve Neider

AP Art student Emilee Grob, who recently got accepted into Kutztown University, Moore College of Art and Design, Hartford School Art School, School of Art Institute of Chicago, Pratt and Tyler, said she will specifically study art education when she moves on to college. That choice will enable her to teach something she shares a passion for. Grob said the MHS AP Art program is a great experience that prepares you for college.

By Eve Neider, Staff Writer

MHS art students Emma Smith, Emilee Grob, Isabella Moorse, Tammy Tsoi, Eden Dugger, Fallon Brown, Katie Pokora and Melissa Santo earned acceptances into post-secondary art school and scholarships for their work in November.

Smith who got accepted into School of Art Institute of Chicago, Tyler School of Art, College for Creative Studies, Maryland Institute College of Art, and Moore College of Art and Design, said AP Art allows for more independence in student progression.

“There is a lot of freedom. You give yourself your own direction in art,” said Smith, who offered her perspectives on art as well.  

She thinks when people look at art, they may feel an emotional connection. Art, she said, can give people a different perspective and sometimes forces them to put pieces together. She hopes that is how others approach her art.

Grob, who got accepted into Kutztown University, Moore College of Art and Design, Hartford School Art School, School of Art Institute of Chicago, Pratt, and Tyler, said she will specifically study art education at college, which will enable her to teach something she shares a passion for. Grob talked about how rewarding the end game is in art.

“At the end of the year [our art work goes into] the art show, and it is an awesome experience,” she said.

Grob said the MHS AP Art program is a great experience that prepares you for college.

Moorse, who will be choosing between Oregon College of Art and Craft and Drexel, said she is proud of her artwork and wants to grow as an artist in the future. She shared why art is important to her.

“It is a way to express yourself. It is a way to put a message out there that is not always apparent and is something to think about.”

Moorse wants to do more with street art and mirror working. She loves the beauty of that genre and how it is made for everyday people to see. She hopes to get her message out there.

Tammy Tsoi, who will attend either the University of the Arts or Hartford Art School, talked about her style.

“[It’s] more like free falling or something that people can understand. I like to be more whimsical or funny.”

When she got accepted into colleges, she said she felt surprised adding that she did not know how good her art was when it compared to other artists’ around the country. Nevertheless, she said she felt accomplished once her success became reality.

Dugger, who was accepted into Tyler and Hartford Art School, thanked her mom for her success. Her mother pushed her to do art. Dugger talked about how she approaches art in general.

“When you look at art, it is the vibe you instantly get off it. What you see is what you get sometimes.”

She hopes to design T-shirts, apparel pins, patches, and tattoos as well as set up art galleries in the future.

Brown, who got into Tyler School of Art, said she is most proud of a painting of her sister. The painting focuses on her sister’s passion for makeup and society. Brown will not go to school for art, but if she were to go, she would study illustration.

Pokora, who got accepted into Moore College of Art and Design, said she was surprised she got a scholarship for her art. An art college was not on her mind; she did not think she was that good.

Showing a painting of her nephew, Pokora wants people to ΅feel a certain way. I focus a lot on dark and light.” She said that finishing a piece is very rewarding because of the time and precision involved.

Santo will attend either Tyler School of Art, Moore College of Art and Design, or Hartford Art School.